Running D&D for large groups.

I run games for large groups. For about three years now my smallest group size has been six, and this was just a few sessions. My largest has been thirteen. The average group size in usually eight to ten. 

When I mention this to other groups or people online I get a range of reactions. From disbelief to shock. The most common sentiment is "I never run for more than 5 (average 4-6)" and "games break down with more than 6 players"

Some of the recent reactions inspired this post. This post is in no way me claiming to know the best, or only way to run big games. This is simply what has, and is working for me and my group.
First of all my group is full of adults, couples mostly. We don't have much free time to game. An average session for us is between 2 to 4 hours with the majority of sessions being 3 to 3.5 hours. This is relevant because big groups take a level of intensity and focus that gets harder to hold onto as time passes.

Once game starts the table is all about the game. Small side conventions happen, but are kept to a minimum, if possible. If you want to visit do it before or after the session. If session starts at 6:00 and ends at 9:00 then that time is for playing. Times to hangout and visit are set by the host of the session. Often they will say "any time after 5". Meaning hanging out and visiting is on for 5 to 6. But don't stress about some table talk, after all D&D is a social game. 

As the DM I rarely sit, I stand with something to keep my notes on. If I'm sitting it's just at the start of a session or while players are discussing options and working things out between their characters that doesn't involve me as the DM.

I like to walk around the table and interact with players individually or in groups. Especially in combat or tense situations. I'll call out a group "the wolf man comes flailing out of the burning room, swinging wildly at the four of you by the door, how do you react". Then I move over to that side of the table, as they each describe their action I ask for the rolls. Then I'll move on to another group "everyone who entered the room behind those four, you see the other four fighting off the wolf man, how do you react?". And I keep going around til everyone is taken care of. With initiative rolls you can do the same, take the highest three rolls, have them rapid fire their action/reactions then roll. Move to the next three. Give each player time and focus within the smaller cluster to do cool stuff...then move along.

One thing I try to do is read the room. If I can tell people are drifting and the intensity is leaving the game and people are wondering off I'll end a session early. I would rather play fast and intense for two hours than two hours of intensity and another hour of people distracted or bored. I'm never afraid of ending a session mid fight or at a cliffhanger...sometimes there is nothing better to rev up the excitement for the next session as an unresolved combat where characters are in real danger.

And last of all credit where credit is due. I have some awesome players. They police themselves and each other. I have 1 to 2 players who act as assistant DMs. They know or pick up rule sets as fast as I do and walk other players through things so I can focus on others. Have a rule question?, need to know what attribute to roll on?, Need to know how to cast a spell or use a skill? Ask one of them especially while I'm focusing on other players. That way they are ready when the focus is on them. Every one of my players is good about helping each other out. I can't stress enough how helpful having assistant DMs is to running for large groups.

Running larger groups is so much more about group dynamic than the skill of the DM. I feel being a more experienced DM helps, but would mean absolutely nothing if my group didn't have my back ever second of the game making it work...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Light (Radiant) sword for 5E D&D

Epic 6 style play for 5th edition D&D.

Backgrounds, what are they good for?